Yield: Serves 8
- 8 small apples, preferably Granny Smith (about 3 pounds)
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Stem, wash and dry apples and insert Popsicle sticks in center of stem ends. Fill a large bowl halfway with ice cubes and water.
2. Combine sugar, corn syrup, cream and butter in a medium-size, heavy-bottom saucepan. Cook over low heat, gently stirring once or twice, until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, until mixture reaches 255ºF on a candy thermometer, about 20 minutes.
3. Set pan in bowl of ice water. Stir just until mixture starts to thicken into a dipping consistency. Working carefully, tip pan slightly to one side and spin each apple in caramel until thoroughly coated. (If mixture becomes too thick, reheat gently for a few seconds.) Transfer to lined baking sheet and place in refrigerator until caramel is cooled and set, about 15 minutes.
After your apples have cooled you can put them in a cello clear bag (available at Micheal's for $1.99 for 25 bags Coupon is a 40% off coupon) with a bow and admire your work